Thursday, November 28, 2013

Tom Turkey

I hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving.  It's important to take the time to appreciate what we have, and be thankful.  It definitely gives me a new outlook on my life.

Alright, enough seriousness.  I made this adorable turkey for my daughter.  It can make a fun craft to do with your kids, while waiting for the real deal to cook.


Very minimal sewing, I promise.
Isn't he cute?  I call him Tom.  

First I cut out all of my pieces from felt.  This is the style I chose to do my feathers for the tail.  You can use any style you want.  Maybe even real feathers.

Two Turkey bodies, two eyes, two feet, one beak, and four of each color feather.


I also cut out the eyes with white felt, and used black sharpie for the pupils.  You could use googly eyes, or buttons if you would like.  Lot of room to play around with this.  I just used supplies I had on hand.

Next, I sewed the turkey body pieces together, leaving a small hole at the bottom.

Don't you love the hot pink thread?  I didn't want to rethread my machine, and I knew it wouldn't be seen.
Now flip your turkey inside out, and stuff with fiberfill.  Really cheap at Wal-Mart.


Now sew your opening closed, and begin working on the tail.  I hot glued all the feathers together, then glued them to the turkey.  I ended up using all of my feathers, for a very full tail, but you could use as many, or as few, as you like.



Then hot glue on your feet, eyes, and beak.  I didn't post patterns, because I think this is a project that everyone can use their own imagination for.  Create your very own one of a kind turkey.  There are definitely things I will do different when I make it again.  Have fun with it, and have a great holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment